R20 Files

BobJ

I need to create/edit some "Personality Builder" *.r20 files. I saw elsewhere a reference a Manual but could not find one. Has anyone edited these (text) files and knows about any instructional material?

Most of it is pretty obvious but their use of 'Modifiers' like inside the statement "Fixture %11s"n has some different constructs to C++. The remainder after divide "%" is ok but the "s" after the 11 is throwing me.

Looks like a C style printf format string..

In this case an 11 character string?

M.

Agreed. printf format for a string (ignoring alignment) is %MIN.MAXs where MIN and MAX can be omitted. So %11s means format to at least 11 characters wide, padding with spaces if need be, align right.

M.

Agreed. printf format for a string (ignoring alignment) is %MIN.MAXs where MIN and MAX can be omitted. So %11s means format to at least 11 characters wide, padding with spaces if need be, align right.

Looking at the OP's previous posts I suspect this is not for a genuine Avolites console. Maybe not a copy but one of the many that use the .R20 format or something vary similar adapted from it without permission. If it is the former then the above wouldn't be relevant and in all likelihood is not accurate. I know what it should normally read and what it means but considering that the format is Avolites property and I have spent many years writing these I'm not inclined to help unless I am convinced otherwise. Obviously if it's the latter then who knows although I have my doubts about the compatibility of some of these I've seen in the past. Certainly they wouldn't work on Avolites consoles (either they would fail to patch entirely or would not work with certain software functions). If it's not for a genuine Avolites console then I would suggest this is a question for the manufacturer.

And, in the syntax of where I found it this make absolute sense. I need to brush up nut you have headed me in the right direction - Thank you.

e]

• 2 months later...

I need to create/edit some "Personality Builder" *.r20 files. I saw elsewhere a reference a Manual but could not find one. Has anyone edited these (text) files and knows about any instructional material?

Most of it is pretty obvious but their use of 'Modifiers' like inside the statement "Fixture %11s"n has some different constructs to C++. The remainder after divide "%" is ok but the "s" after the 11 is throwing me.

Yes these are similar to C, Linux BASH and other formats. Basically the % "Calls" for a parameter that in the R20 format is outside the quotes like "Answer is %3d"5 Here the % 'calls" for the 1st data item following the closing quotes (5). The d next to it says its an integer and the 3 - it'll take at least 3 spaces (this may not be entirely accurate but its' along these lines). Take; 16 255 "Strobe %3d.%d%%"(c-a)*100/(b-a),10*((c-a)*100%(b-a))/(b-a).

The equation converts the slider value into a percentage of the Lo-Hi sub range for the LCD display. e.g. here LO was 16 & Hi 255. So, If our slider's was 125 we'd see “Strobe 45.6%” in the LCD panel.

As mentioned by others there is a personality builder you can download to make R20 files. Personally I prefer to find a similar fixture and hack it in a pure text editor like "Notepad" The real secret to these file is to download a heap of them and go through them. Having that lamps (fixtures) profile/attribute sheet at hand is a must.

The last three columns; The ON value of the channel, the Highlight level of this channel and the Lowlight level of this channel are still a puzzle to me. So if you know anything about them let me know please.

Archived