ABBA Music in Shows

dbuckley

Here in sunny New Zealand, I've tried to get rights to use ABBA works in shows a few times, and always get denied. Then I heard that a professional run of Priscilla had also had their request to use ABBA works denied.

Are ABBA works unavailable in other jurisdictions? Or do they just hate us down-under folk?

Abba music is what's know as 7f'd here as PRS do not have it in their controlled list, the rights holders administering them via their record company direct. It doesn't mean that they are unavailable, just unavailable using the normal methods. I've had direct experience of getting an abba track published a while back and it just means it's more difficult, but not impossible. The success of things like Mama Mia as a musical or other sudden unexpected income streams often make this happen. Remember the old 70s song Sugar Baby Love? Same thing happened with that because of that high falsetto intro. People were using it just for a few seconds, and the owners decided that PPL and PRS were not the best collection system.

Archived