Setting up Macbook

Crash_Override

Hi!

I'm quite new to using MacBook Pro for work. Running sound/video of it using QLab2 and RME Fireface UCX, some small show we too without the sound card.

Is it possible to create a user where only the necessary apps/drivers for running shows are loaded on startup?

I need to have another user where I can do everything else. How can I set it up like that? Tried searching on web but keep getting just thread about how to create new user account.

How are your Mac's set up?

About my mac:

OS X 10.9,5

2.9GHz Intel i7

8GB 1600MHz DDR3

If you create a 2nd user for the started items, then under System Prefs>Users and Groups, select the User and there's a Login Items tab, where you can add apps, or documents/workstations that will load up automatically.

If this was just for a run though I'd be inclined just to add it to the default user and delete it afterwards rather than setting up a 2nd user - but you could set up the 2nd user to log in automatically (Login Options under User&Groups window.)

Not sure if the 2nd user for Qlab would need to be admin or just a standard user - I know ChamSys is very particular about being an admin user (I'd rather not know what it's up to on the back end..) but QLab is pretty good so I would expect would work properly on standard user.

If a lot of stuff is coming up every time you log in there are some wider system/user options to do with whether it restarts all the apps you had open when you shut down, or whether a particular application re-loads the last files and sessions it was working on or starts 'empty' - personally I have these set in the older style, so restarting kills all apps, and all apps kill all windows on quitting.

You are an OS out of date as well, OS updates tend to be pretty painless unless shaky third-party software or windows user networking is involved.

Out of date OS image but the principle is the same:

http://images.macworld.com/images/howto/graphics/138502-login_items_586_original.jpg

Mine is empty though, the only thing I manually removed was 'iTunes helper', which checks for attached iDevices and opens itunes - you can get rid of that and just open it manually anyway.

I'm quite new to using MacBook Pro for work. Running sound/video of it using QLab2 and RME Fireface UCX, some small show we too without the sound card.

Is it possible to create a user where only the necessary apps/drivers for running shows are loaded on startup?

I need to have another user where I can do everything else. How can I set it up like that? Tried searching on web but keep getting just thread about how to create new user account.

Once you've created a new user account all you need to do is login as that user then:

- Start Qlab

- Double tap on the Qlab icon in the dock

- In the menu that comes up go to the 'Options' submenu

- In there select 'Open at Login'

You probably also want to select 'Keep in Dock'

QLab 2 works perfectly well on 10.10 however QLab 2 is no longer being developed so any issues that may arise with future OS updates will not be fixed. So it's probably better to stay back on the known working 10.9.

I don't know about RME drivers and 10.10 as I own MOTU interfaces rather than RME.

I have had multiple users set up on mine in the past and have just restricted what they can do so they can only access the specific software needed, I guess I need this more a security point, don't want someone getting to text edit :P

it shouldnt cause a problem with the software, the only one I know that it would is chamsys, as TomHoward said

Archived