Band PA Advice

maximumr&b

Hi - I play in a rock covers band doing the usual pub and club gigs and private parties,weds etc.

We currently use an old Phonic 1860 Mk 11 with LD Systems 120 speakers, a carlsboro slave for stage monitors and 2 passive wedges.

We are thinking of upgrading to the Allen & Heath Zed Power 1000 and want advice for:

a) Other suitable powered mixers and

b) suitable/best speakers to go with this

All ideas welcome - the Phonic is not the best I know but it has been great for us - clear and reliable.

Ta

hello mate,

Welcome! Well the good news is you should notice a massive upgrade in sound quality,

Its a digital sound desk age now but by no means does that mean analogue isn't the right option for you, however personally I've never been a fan of desks with amplification in - I would rather have powered speakers and a non amplified desk, do you use subs at present? if so its a massive upgrade in sound also.

I would consider ah a&h zed non amplified version, with the size being based on how many inputs you require and perhaps qsc or a rcf speaker system - or if you have a larger budget there are many options. Perhaps look at what your competition/other similar function bands use?

I'd second the notion that a non powered desk would give you more flexibility. The A&H Zeds are good, but if there's any chance of buying a Mix Wiz instead (second hand?), you'd have a much better desk with plenty of auxes (helps later with IEMs etc.) and much better EQ.

Powered speakers are a lot more popular than powered desks... plenty of different offerings, and the various types get discussed here quite frequently...

I like the Yamaha DXR range, but there are some good lower cost alternatives.

• 3 weeks later...
Looking for wisdom after a recent event where my Yamaha EMX ran out (yet again) of monitor mixes (2M+2FX)... I have the same problem so. Botch solutions have been to provide a part mix where performers added their keyboard/drums using powered monitors speakers with thru on 1 channel but adding a part mix (eg vocals) and they add their own instrument. And using the FX2 or FX1 send but taking care with how I move the mix faders... The main PA 500w+500w + bass subs on a seperate amp caters for most presentation events I do. Monitors are usually old fashioned EQ>AMP>non-amplified speaker (less [power/distribution] cables to run around). A&H seem to supply the only non-digital amplified option where there are sufficient MON/FX mixes (6) and a power amp with routing flexibility . Anybody care to comment of the equalization with respect to analog Yamaha or Soundcraft (I need to travel a long way to get hands on to test this.) Are there really no power amplified digitals out there ?

Are there really no power amplified digitals out there ?

I think powered desks are an evolutionary line that has't developed any further? Of course there are several still around, but if you are running out of auxes etc. would not even a basic digital desk with separate power amp or powered speakers be the better way forward?

Analogue desks with amps in are usually heavy but also practical and with decent manufacturers reliable... But a digital desk with 4 or 6 digital amps of which 2 at 500w plus others at 300w could be a compact, lighter and flexible tool and would of course have more Aux Mon outs to feed self-powered speakers or headsets. I stand by the burden of added work, safety, testing etc. of more power cables/distribution on a stage for monitors. (End of mini rave!) Even the current "mix your own mix monitor pods" require power and more cabling or wifi etc and I fear could lead to more feedback problems due to the "more me" or "more that" without the global view and responsibility the monitor engineer has.

Archived