Vertical Lighting truss

loudwill

I'd suggest chatting to a theatrical installer, they should be able to take the requirement and do it for you.

I'd just be calling it a vertical truss - not sure there is a special name - but you might need to buy some out-rig arms from Doughty to actually rig the lamps on?

'Tower' truss is the variant you want, generally available in GP12, foot square or GP30.5 (which is all the same). 'Tower' truss differs from usual GP in that one side has no diagonal bracing.

Secure installation is critical, especially if it is to be climbed, as well as thought regarding fall arrest or restraint of the climber.

I would recommend the use of Doughty de-rigs, rather than the traditional boom arm, as has already been suggested.

You do not need tower truss for this application. Tower truss was created to provide extra rigidity for ground support tower legs. The extra diagonal bracing resists the rotational forces of a freestanding tower.

The OP wants to install a truss on a wall. Therefore there are no rotational forces in play and a normal truss will be sufficient if mounted correctly.

The easiest method that springs to mind is embed some beefy threaded rod into the wall using Hilti Chemical Anchors. Then mount half couplers to the threaded rod. You will need to get a structural engineer involved to specify the size of rod etc and number of fixings needed (thinking out load I would say that a minimum of 6 fixings for a 4m length of vertical truss).

Hope that helps.

TM

'Tower' truss is the variant you want, generally available in GP12, foot square or GP30.5 (which is all the same). 'Tower' truss differs from usual GP in that one side has no diagonal bracing.

This is all correct to a point... tower truss from brands like Thomas and Total does indeed differ to it's horizontal counterparts by the addition of a 3rd side of diagonal bracing - where the horizontal stuff only has 2.

But this is mainly for use in freestanding structures like ground supports, where you are going to have compression acting along 2 axis...

For installation - I expect they will just bolt a bracket into the wall and install half couplers onto the bracket... that's how I'd do it.

EDIT: Sorry only just seen TM's post (wasn't there when I started typing, 8 hours ago, and fell asleep), if you are using chemfix anchors and stud, just keep the stud very short as it has very little sideways loading. I would say you are better bolting a plate into the wall and fixing to the plate, as sideways loading of the plate (IE towards the ground) will put it in compression against the wall and be reasonably solid, whilst a piece of stud sticking out will try to bend.

Archived