Long throw projector recommends

TimWatson

Folks, Im sure this has been asked lots of times, but I have been asked to assist in installing a screen and projector in a church, and I need some collective wisdom.

Usual thing, don't want to obscure the view of the organ, except when the screen is down, so I need an odd shaped electric screen (very deep), and the ceiling is very high,

so the projector needs to be mounted at the back where there's a lower part..

So I need some info and recommendations for suppliers for a projector that can handle a throw ratio of 3 to 4, with a distance to screen of around 10M.

Sadly alternate mountings aren't going to be a thing (ceiling height and 'obscuring the view'). Aesthetics are a bit of a thing on this job..

I did wonder about an ultra short, with some sort of bracket, but the screen has to be mounted in a small gap between the top of an arch and the ceiling, so that doesn't look like it would work.

So what sort of Lumens do I need for this? The ambient light isn't huge (it's a chapel, after all) but it will be daylight outside the windows, so I need a decent brightness (although I gather that blinds are to be installed,

so I don't need to compete with direct sunlight..)

I'm Currently looking at Hitachi CP series with long lens ( thoughts? ) and ideally either a supplier willing to demo in the devon / cornwall area of UK. Not used to doing stuff with high value

projectors, and I don't want to screw this up, as it's not my money :-) so any advice appreciated.

I also need a custom electric screen, that is 3M wide, but can drop 4M, and hence I need about 1M of black at the top.. Who does one go to for such a beast?

Cheers, Tim.

I also need a custom electric screen, that is 3M wide, but can drop 4M, and hence I need about 1M of black at the top.. Who does one go to for such a beast?

Without pictures it's a bit hard to work out what the problems are, but (for not a huge amount of money) you can get electric screens that lower themselves on 2 wires & then unroll the screen, so the image effectively floats in mid-air.

Without pictures it's a bit hard to work out what the problems are, but (for not a huge amount of money) you can get electric screens that lower themselves on 2 wires & then unroll the screen, so the image effectively floats in mid-air.

Now that sounds like the ideal thing.. Suppliers?

I reckon the screen will be the easiest bit here. If the church are determined to go down this route I'd have the screen installed first then get some demos done. I say 'determined' as it might be possible in terms of what they want they might get cheaper/better results from a couple of large screen TVs rigged as needed. I am always wary of the maintenance implications of remote controlled screens and the like in venues where access may be a problem and there are no full time a/v staff.

Screen Technics are my preferred screen manufacturer.

Their double deploy option is called the screen lowering device (catchy name).

Screens are generally in one of the following aspect ratios: 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10 - not square. If you need the bottom of the screen to be at 4m from the top, you are going to need either a double deploy of over 1m, or a leader (the name for the black at the top) longer than 1000mm.

A 3m wide screen is pretty standard (about a 140" screen) - most manufacturers do them as standard up to about 230" before they start into custom-engineered (insanely heavy) teritory. I generally try and avoid long leaders on screens - all screens stretch slightly over time, but the black stretches at a different rate to the white (because the white is a treatment applied on top of the black) - which then leads to warping of the fabric.

As far as long throw - I am a Panasonic fan - Something like their 7800 is at a pretty nice pricepoint.

I had a pretty horrible experience with one of those screens. Very heavy and difficult to install, annoying unreliable. After about a year of occasional use it started chewing through its own hanging wires and needed replaced.

Bear in mind that anything like this probably falls within LOLER and needs regular inspections.

Archived