LED Par 64 Can Beam Restriction

samuel

Hi!

I'm hanging two LED Par 64 Cans, one on each side, from approximately 2 meters above the floor in a room. I'd like to keep the room dark and have the lights/beams defined and focussed on one point in the middle of the room, however the light is spilling on to the walls and I'd like to avoid this. I've read a thread on this forum where barn doors on LED Par Cans were discussed, however top hats were also suggested.

What do you suggest I do to stop the light from spilling and be focussed on one point, if possible?

Thanks!

It depends on the type of LED "PAR" - I use inverted commas, because they are not "PAR" is actually a reflector and lamp design - something many LED PARs actually lack.

LED fixtures come in a variety of beam angles. Generally this is due to lens and reflector design.Your cheap PAR will have a giant matrix of red green and blue LED's with no reflector or lens - they will have a centre hotspot and then a large corona (generally) and often a beam angle around 36deg - you can get rid of some of that with top hats and barn doors but as the light is coming from multiple sources which occupy the entire width of the fixture - all of which just throw light out your top hat would need to be fairly long and you would loose a lot of light..

As you move up the price scale you start to enter into tri/quad/hex LED's which are often mounted in individual reflectors with lenses - and depending on the manufacturers design goals, these may be a narrow beam or a wide beam. There will still most likely be some form of corona - but potentially more manageable.

Narrower beam angle will mean more chance of good beams.

Led pars do generate a lot of scattered light because the lenses are right at the front. Try making a temporary snoot out of cardboard and see if it helps, it might be good enough for what you need. If not, cob led (single chip) pars have a tighter beam, otherwise you're into led profile spots which are very expensive, or standard profile spots which are cheap on ebay but don't change colour...

If you look into the history of the PAR64 they started out as a short nosed can and had to be housed in a long nose can to stop spill.

Your mission, if you are technically capable of undertaking the task, is to move the led board and electronics into an empty long nose can, or sell the stubby can lad's and buy led's with lens. Note as Tim has ais that led fixtures with a front glass for waterproofing, will have a spill. But no fan.

Archived