1U Stereo Mic Mixer

sandall

Looking for a simple rack-mount stereo mic mixer for show-relay. We have four ME80s, which feed -

Stereo recording via jackfield, stereo control-room speakers, stereo (or mono) feed to Sennheisser IR unit, mono to Lx, mono to foyer amp (SM desk has its own mic). For reasons I won't bore you with the system needs to run 24/7. At present we use a Behringer Zenyx 1202 on a rack-shelf, which has enough outputs, but Behringer PSUs are NOT designed for 24/7 use, so we are now on our second one.

Cloud do a 2-zone unit, but the mics are mixed down to mono. Apart do a slightly more complicated 2-zone unit, where the mics could be split between the 2 zones, but this would mean them being effectively panned hard-left & hard-right, which for obvious reasons we don't want.

Does anyone know of a rack-mount mic mixer with Pan controls, & preferably at least 1 Aux output?

Are they actual Pan controls, or just Balance on the stereo inputs (which the Apart also has)? - the data sheet only mentions Balance.

Just found the manual on Monacor's website - it does look as if Bal also works as Pan. Thanks, I'd missed that one.

I know I'm not directly answering the OPs question, but just a +1 for this StageLine unit.

These are a handy little mixer because the channels are stereo - that means one knob to turn rather than a pair (on for example the Behringer MX-882). I used one as part of the base install in our local hall, where it's used to mix in CD/PC/announcement mic to the front channels of the Dolby 7.1 install used for community cinema. This setup is all worked by non-technical volunteers, so simple operation is key. At the time I couldn't find anything with similar specs/price to this one (ok, 'twas 2009), with balanced XLR I/O. It has phantom power (12V) too, alhough set by internal links. I give it the "thumbs up".

Manual that Sandall refers to:

https://www.monacor....0ff92456651.pdf

ETA: Seem a fair bit cheaper at the moment on Amazon (£130) than CPC (£170).

We use a BehringerMX882 in one of our rehearsals studios. It can be used as a combo splitter/mixer, fits 1U in a rack and has pan controls, but not sure about an aux. TBH, we use it as a mixer going from mp3 players, cd player & mic, going to our limiter, and it's great for that. We wanted it rack mounted so that students & dancers can't fiddle with anything, but it might be a good solution for your monitoring. You can get it for less than £80. Handbook is here http://cdn2.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/91711.pdf

do the line inputs have any gain?

Hi Brian,

Sorry I don't have access to the unit I describe above. Maybe their helpline can answer your question - or at least try and ask the design centre if the UK is only a sales office (ok, maybe not but you never know...!)?

info@monacor.co.uk

MONACOR UK LTD

UNIT 8

PLOVER CLOSE

NEWPORT PAGNELL

MILTON KEYNES

MK16 9PS

TEL: +44 (0) 1908 217100

....do the line inputs have any gain?

The manual says 100mV line input for 1V line output. Have a look at kgallen's link.

Thanks natjones, the MX882 looks like it will also do the mixing bit, though it only seems to have a single stereo output in "mix" mode.

Thanks David. I'm slightly prejudiced against Behringer for this application, as it's left on 24/7 & we've already had 2 Berrie mixers & 1 Berrie compressor die on us, but in the end the lack of Pan controls rules it out.

So far the IMG / Stageline looks the only viable option (though it's twice the price of the Behringers) - surely there must be others out there ?? :huh:

So far the IMG / Stageline looks the only viable option (though it's twice the price of the Behringers) - surely there must be others out there ?? :huh:

I had a look around when you first asked the question and noticed that Canford had various professional standard alternatives but they're all in the £500-600 range (and I'm not sure whether they do exactly what you want).

If it must be 1u then the IMG / Stageline option is your best bet. If it can stretch to a few more then your options increase a lot. We went from the IMG 1u's to Behringer RX1202's because we needed more control of EQ and an aux send for lecture capture. They are on 24/7 and have lasted ok - most are a few years old now but the cheap internal PSU's do die eventually!

Depending on your opinion on used equipment, you may be better with something more like a SoundWeb. Soundwebs can be found used at very affordable prices, and will do all that you ask, with the bonus of dynamics and EQ thrown in. Another option would be any of the remote control rack mixers - available from most mixer brands.

Samson have some options with mic-pres and stereo routing, as do Art and Rolls.

There does seem to be a load od 2nd-hand Soundweb stuff out there but maybe a bit OTT for this job(+ I wouldn't know where to start !). The APB looks interesting but at around $900 it's a bit over budget :(. ART MX821S is a possibility, though I can only find a manual for the MX821, which doesn't have Pan controls. Couldn't find anything suitable from Samson or Pulse/CPC. The search goes on......

Archived