All the old lighting laying around unused

paulears

Our stock of old lighting kit is considerable and our large fly galleries have become a graveyard of working but older kit. We were all in very early today so we found 30 par cans 8 t-spots and some 243bp’s and some cct ails with break up gobos in them. Two complete new Lx bars now up and running some foh ow from the t-spots and the 243s on the advance truss as audience light. The breakups work too. You know what? The led washes are great but the par cans look very different and I’d forgotten how nice. The electricity bill has taken a hike with another 44k but it’s nice to see it all back in action. Quite a lot of different versions of white though!

Ssshhh, listen carefully. Can you hear a strange noise coming from Paul’s place? It’s sort of high pitched whining noise.

I know what it is - it’s the little wheel in the leccy meter spinning faster than it ever has before!

Ssshhh, listen carefully. Can you hear a strange noise coming from Paul's place? It's sort of high pitched whining noise.

I know what it is - it's the little wheel in the leccy meter spinning faster than it ever has before!

It replaces the high pitched whining of the Switch Mode PSUs in the LED stuff!

Four t-spots either side out front and light does come out! Enough to be useful. I didn't expect this much, but worth doing. To retain the antiquity, I also transferred the dust and rust in touched. Cleaning before putting them up would have helped, but I figured optional.

Ssshhh, listen carefully. Can you hear a strange noise coming from Paul’s place? It’s sort of high pitched whining noise.

I know what it is - it’s the little wheel in the leccy meter spinning faster than it ever has before!

Don't be daft, Paul will have had the sense to feed a piece of card down the meter to jam the wheel.....

At one venue I looked after the FoH rig was eight T-spots. I finally gave them away & replaced them with 2nd-hand axial Sil-30s - light levels on stage promptly doubled. The problem then became the short life of the CP77 lamps, largely solved when I realised that if they were fitted with the filament below the supporting strut, rather than above, they were less likely to explode when focussing.

T84s somewhat better than T64s...

T64s had two sets of shutters (one set straight edge, one set combed edge) like P264s.

Sils better than both, but not without drawbacks. I never really used the axial version.

I remember being quite surprised to come across some quite effective Selecon profiles in the mid nineties when you would mostly have seen Sil 30, cantata and harmony profiles.

There's nothing wrong with PAR cans. They may be inefficient, but they provide a good wash of broad spectrum light.

I'm sure they'll come back into fashion again. I'm looking forward to blowing the dust off my parcan graveyard and putting them back out to work when that happens.

I suspected there might be a resurgence in popularity after Kanye used a gazillion of them at Glastonbury a couple of years ago. Maybe too soon?

There's nothing wrong with PAR cans. They may be inefficient, but they provide a good wash of broad spectrum light.

AND they make a great cooking source for woks atop a castle wall..... :D

Archived