External Midi to DMX

dedzyyy

Hi,

I'm starting a techno/dancey project and I'm using a laptop-less set up with a hardware sequencer sending midi out to my synths, drum machines and samplers.

I've made visuals for each track of the set that I want to project, so I intend to run a mac to deal with that.

In addition, I also want to automate some lighting. A simple set up - a couple of spots, strobes, a laser and perhaps a smoke/haze machine. Just to complement the AV stuff.

My question is, what will be the easiest/cheapest way to get MIDI out of my sequencer and control some DMX lights? I wouldn't mind using the mac to help, but I'd prefer not to if possible.

Thanks for any help!

Lee

A long time ago we used an NJD midi to DMX rackmount unit. Our first lighting show was programmed and run using Logic Audio! It's a lot of work to program basic effects that a lighting desk can easily create, but you sound like you're pretty skilled with midi so it should be a fun challenge for you. My main advice would be to try and keep your fixtures simple, fixtures with good "macro" effects that you can fire off by raising a single channel/note to a given value will be invaluable in creating an impressive show.

Could you please explain what you mean by macro effects?

I'm very new to all this btw!

Just come across this controller.

http://www.whybuynew.co.uk/lighting-and-effects/lighting-controllers/DMX-operator-I.htm?opt=25425&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2ua8BRDeusOkl5qth4QBEiQA8BpQcLRrI49Vr5blVnCFPOvu2-WP87VoXNSJ1O_K3CNWIq0aAuKX8P8HAQ

I see it's got midi in on the back.

Would I be able to program in midi notes the same way as I would if I were controlling a synth?

Ideally we'd like all the visuals and lighting to be automated, so we can focus on the music.

Thanks for the help!

Also, what do they mean by 'scenes' when it comes to controllers?

A long time ago we used an NJD midi to DMX rackmount unit. Our first lighting show was programmed and run using Logic Audio! It's a lot of work to program basic effects that a lighting desk can easily create, but you sound like you're pretty skilled with midi so it should be a fun challenge for you. My main advice would be to try and keep your fixtures simple, fixtures with good "macro" effects that you can fire off by raising a single channel/note to a given value will be invaluable in creating an impressive show.

I particularly enjoyed finding the virtual Avo Pearl made in Logic !! Hi Andy

The NJD device took 128 MIDI notes and turned them in to 128 DMX channels; as Andy implies, this is a particularly tedious way of programming lights - you would need to know which DMX channel controls which attribute, an attribute being a thing the fixture does: colour, movement, patterns for example. The layout of fixtures is not common across different fixtures.

As another post suggests, you are better off buying a cheap, dedicated lighting controller with a MIDI input. You will then need to build your playbacks/memories/cues and assign them a MIDI value; Red LEDs = C1, Strobe= B3. You might also be able to do clever things with velocity and the like, but don't quote me.

Hope that helps

KC

This might help; its Ableton specific, but...... -

My question is, what will be the easiest/cheapest way to get MIDI out of my sequencer and control some DMX lights?

For a box solution, not a laptop, probably the "best" answer is a Lanbox, but although it ticks the easiest box, it isn't the cheapest solution.

Cheers Ken, that's helped me get my head around things a lot more!

The lanbox looks like it'll do everything I need and more, but it's way over my budget.

Would the ADJ DMX Operator 1 be any good?

http://www.whybuynew.co.uk/lighting-and-effects/lighting-controllers/DMX-operator-I.htm?opt=25425&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2ua8BRDeusOkl5qth4QBEiQA8BpQcLRrI49Vr5blVnCFPOvu2-WP87VoXNSJ1O_K3CNWIq0aAuKX8P8HAQ

Archived