Strand GSX PSU

Theatermeister

The sleeved two pin XLR like plug? Like this?

I don't think they're (easily) available any longer.

EDIT : Canford list the cable plug (if this is indeed what you're after) at 29 quid a throw!

I've seen plenty, but refused to use them for anything because they are pretty hairy - in particular, there are ways that the live can mate before the earth when plugged in, which makes plugging them in live hazardous if the appliance is faulty. I'd be looking to remove it in favour of something else (usually IEC C13/14, with the wire lock loop if necessary), but this does usually take up more room. I believe the BBC banned them, with the concession of milling the release buttons off the trailing leads so that they became permanently locked into the appliance (often with a trailing IEC male on the other end).

They make a nice source of donor parts for old pattern Neutric XLR connectors however, once you realise that the screw hole is on the other side of the shell!

I believe the BBC banned them,

Yes, I remember that happening - mid 90s perhaps? It was apparently a herculean effort to track them all down.

Would it be possible to use a Powercon instead? Some alteration might be required but it's not that far off.

The sleeved two pin XLR like plug? Like this?

I don't think they're (easily) available any longer.

EDIT : Canford list the cable plug (if this is indeed what you're after) at 29 quid a throw!

I've seen plenty, but refused to use them for anything because they are pretty hairy - in particular, there are ways that the live can mate before the earth when plugged in, which makes plugging them in live hazardous if the appliance is faulty. I'd be looking to remove it in favour of something else (usually IEC C13/14, with the wire lock loop if necessary), but this does usually take up more room. I believe the BBC banned them, with the concession of milling the release buttons off the trailing leads so that they became permanently locked into the appliance (often with a trailing IEC male on the other end).

They make a nice source of donor parts for old pattern Neutric XLR connectors however, once you realise that the screw hole is on the other side of the shell!

While all of this is true, in this application it is only conducting 24VDC, 1A from the power supply into the console so it is safe enough. http://www.theatrecrafts.com/archive/documents/gsx_datasheet_1998.pdf

While all of this is true, in this application it is only conducting 24VDC, 1A from the power supply into the console so it is safe enough. http://www.theatrecrafts.com/archive/documents/gsx_datasheet_1998.pdf

Aha - I'd assumed it was the inlet to the power supply from the mains. In that case, this is definitely not an application for a Powercon, since it'll be far too easy to accidentally send 240v up something not designed for it.

A decent alternative might be a 4 pin XLR - that's used for a lot of DC power applications, especially in the broadcast world.

Problem is that it needs to be the old XLR chassis size, because fitting an alternative is easily done, and the panel actually has a modern low voltage concentric connector too for emergencies - but the Strand one is original. And tough. Might be worth watching ebay for a complete adaptor as they'll be a handy thing to have a spare.

Just a thought - is the red mains version the same design as the blue low voltage one? Before wasting money perhaps worth checking. The Strand connectors, from two suppliers based on my old power supplies both had blue connector inserts which makes me wonder if the colour is important?

For correctness sake, we do need to sort this one. Somewhere in my store in a dump bin, with loads of other old adaptors is a genuine strand one. I'll try to find it as as we cover GSX questions quite often and should have a definitive answer as to what is the correct part - or not!

Ours is blue, has three pins, and one pin is different than the other two (I'm pretty sure). I'll take a photo tomorrow of both socket and connector and post them. I seem to remember that Strand used more than one type of connector for the GSX over the years. Ours dates from 1995 (and we are still using it).

Our power supply does not look like this one but I think the pins in the connector are like this: https://www.usedlighting.co.uk/control-console-accessories/strand-gsx-psu

The PSU for ours has a red cable plug connector. However, some time ago someone added an adapter with a red socket and a blue plug. We have 2 GSX in regular use - one owned by the theatre and one a member's personal one. Neither console was in the store bit I bet we have one of each colour.

Archived