Artnet patching

LordOrange

Hi,

I'm trying to find a solution to take artnet input from Resolume and repatch it to other artnet channels on a different subnet or universe. The issue I have is that the fixtures colours are patched in 16bit but there are only 8bit colourspace profiles available in Resolume so I can't patch them directly from Resolume. Unfortunately I can't repatch as 8bit colour on the fixture in this situation.

Any other suggested solutions are welcome!

You could use MagicQ PC to do this. There's an artnet merge function and it's free. With the 8-bit to 16-bit conversion you would just drop the fine channel.

OK. So I have got it lose to working but not really.

The "patching" of the artnet works but there is a very weird bug. If I set MagicQ to run with the same IP as my artnet network (where resolume is broadcasting to) MQ doesn't pick up any input. If I set MQ to use another IP, it picks up the broadcast from resolume but it is then not broadcasting to the right network.

Any ideas?

P.S. also tried ouputting ACN instead of artnet in case the output from MQ was interfearing with the input to MQ

Speaking from a networking perspective, you can't have two devices on the same network with the same IP address.

Each device has three key parameters... An IP address, a network mask, and a broadcast address.

Each device should have the same network mask and broadcast address. If you are connected to a router of some sort, you should use one of the private address ranges (look in Wikipedia for details)

The network mask defines your network. It's made up of a network part (binary 1's) and a station part (binary zeros). Most common is 255.255.255.0 which gives you a network on 255 devices and a broadcast address. If you need more devices, use something like 255.255.0.0.

Should be noted that some devices (not looking at BT home hubs in particular) don't always behave properly if you try and program them with something other than defaults.

Happy to assist further if you send details of what devices etc, and current settings you have.

M.

Speaking from a networking perspective, you can't have two devices on the same network with the same IP address.

Each device has three key parameters... An IP address, a network mask, and a broadcast address.

Each device should have the same network mask and broadcast address. If you are connected to a router of some sort, you should use one of the private address ranges (look in Wikipedia for details)

The network mask defines your network. It's made up of a network part (binary 1's) and a station part (binary zeros). Most common is 255.255.255.0 which gives you a network on 255 devices and a broadcast address. If you need more devices, use something like 255.255.0.0.

Should be noted that some devices (not looking at BT home hubs in particular) don't always behave properly if you try and program them with something other than defaults.

Happy to assist further if you send details of what devices etc, and current settings you have.

M.

Thanks for that, there were 1 or 2 details I wasn't aware of. My set up should still work though.

I am trying to get this solution working on one machine, thus getting them to talk together on the same network requires them to be using the same IP. As far as I can tell (anyone who knows Chamsys better please correct me if I'm wrong) selecting the IP address on MagicQ tells the software what network device to use and that's all. Which is why I find it so confusing that it only listens to Resolume when it is on a different IP.

When I was talking about broadcast, I meant in context with artnet. When you are sending an artnet stream, you can broadcast it (basically anything listening for artnet will pick it up) or unicast it (it send to a specific IP address). I think there is a little more to unicast than that but that's my understanding of it. I'm running all my artnet outputs as broadcast.

So my understanding of how the system should work, I send artnet from Resolume (which I think sends out over any network the machine is connected to) which picks up on MagicQ (which must connect to the network that MA is on as MA is a second device). MagicQ maps the inputs and outputs them on different addresses on either artnet or sACN. The issue is that MagicQ will only pick up the Resolume artnet if it is on a different network from the machine (I tested by changing it to the microsoft virtual network adapter) but then it is sending it's artnet output to the wrong network, so MA won't pick it up.

When running MagicQ on a PC, setting the IP address in the Network screen actually changes the IP address of the PC. It's slightly confusing as when you first go into that screen it shows 2.0.0.20 which is not true, but when you select the IP address it then shows the actual IP address of the PC. If you click on that, the IP address is then set correctly.

I have experienced trouble with some network adapter (drivers?) not passing artnet between applications within the pc - seem to pass other types of packet but artnet just disappeared. Same thing worked fine on another computer with different network adapter.

Have you tried installing the Microsoft Loopback Adaptor which fixed a problem for me once.instructions here:http://www.pingzic.net/how-to-enable-loopback-adapter-in-windows-10/

Or have you tried turning off Windows Firewall in case that's doing something strange.

Archived