Modifying LED video panel louvres

Our current video setup uses around 80 LED panel modules, in an "exploded panel" configuration, to cover the outside of a 360 degree DJ booth with mapped video content. The system was bought second-hand from a video company's hire-stock and each module came fitted with a plastic angled louvre, designed to both provide some protection to the LEDs, and shade the screen from the sun's glare when used in a typical video wall configuration. We have had to remove all of the louvres, as their angled profile masks the LEDs when viewed from one side (we use the modules rotated 90 degrees from their intended orientation). Whilst this has solved the issue of viewing angle, it means that the LEDs are vulnerable to being knocked, and the louvres need to be taped onto the panels for transit between shows. Taping and untaping them is a very tedious job, and I would like to just modify our existing louvres in some way to remove their profile, and then screw them back onto the modules permanently. Ideally what I would like is to run them through some sort of thickness planer that would shave a few mm off the surface (but I suspect a thickness planer might just rip them to pieces).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could achieve this?

Thanks

Tim

E2A: What I'm essentially asking is: how can I shave a very fragile plastic waffle down to make a slightly thinner plastic waffle.

Commission someone with a 3d printer to make you some the shape you want. Or, make some transport cases to hold them securely without the fronts on.

Can't think of a way to modify what you have, you are right that they'll just break up.

Commission someone with a 3d printer to make you some the shape you want. Or, make some transport cases to hold them securely without the fronts on.

Can't think of a way to modify what you have, you are right that they'll just break up.

Thanks, that is an option I had at the back of my mind. I do occasionally get involved with a hackspace local to me, who have a 3D printer and lots of friendly, helpful nerds who'd be more than happy to teach me how to use it. I'll pop in next time I get an evening free and have a chat with them about it.

Archived