Wingnut Spanner

Wingnut spanner = the tool of the DEVIL!!!

there's only ONE use I'd ever put a wingnut spanner to and that is to undo a wing nut that some half-witted lampie had used a wingnut spanner (or other infernal tool) to tighten in the first place.

The beauty of a hook clamp with wing nuts is that you don't NEED a tool to correctly tighten the lantern in place.

In a situation where you might conceive of a need to over-tighten a clamp wing nut I would argue that you're probably not using the right tool for the job - eg over-hanging a lantern on a bar - for this you really should be using a half-clamp that wraps around the bar and grips it properly.

Ynot, you really should be right.

But alas there are wing nuts on all sorts of things that shouldn't have wing nuts on, so what can you do down on the shop floor other than just make the best of what you've got?

It's a bit of a c­ock. Speaking of which: clicky :)

Wingnut spanner = the tool of the DEVIL!!!

there's only ONE use I'd ever put a wingnut spanner to and that is to undo a wing nut that some half-witted lampie had used a wingnut spanner (or other infernal tool) to tighten in the first place.

The beauty of a hook clamp with wing nuts is that you don't NEED a tool to correctly tighten the lantern in place.

In a situation where you might conceive of a need to over-tighten a clamp wing nut I would argue that you're probably not using the right tool for the job - eg over-hanging a lantern on a bar - for this you really should be using a half-clamp that wraps around the bar and grips it properly.

Sadly I cannot agree, there is a good use for a wing-nut spanner. I shall explain; I have often been accused by my assistants over the years of having a 'hulk-like grip' when tightening wing nuts by hand, to the point where they are unable to undo them. This is when the wing-nut spanner comes into play. So I would say that a good wing-nut spanner helps ease the disparity in grip strengths in a varied crew.

(p.s. I have used both the wingnutspanner.co.uk one and the biancheri and found both to be able to undo wing-nuts admirably)

<snipped>

<snipped>

Sadly I cannot agree, there is a good use for a wing-nut spanner. I shall explain; I have often been accused by my assistants over the years of having a 'hulk-like grip' when tightening wing nuts by hand, to the point where they are unable to undo them. This is when the wing-nut spanner comes into play. <snipped>

<coughs politely at the irony... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I use this one and have never had any trouble with it. It's used for undoing nuts that have been over-tightened, and just giving a little extra certainty on over-rigged units. They claim it also opens beer, but I wouldn't know about that!

Good call - just bought one

Archived