AVI videos playback from within a cue stack on Magic HD

Richard CSL

Bit more information required. What are you controlling it with? MagicQ or something else? If a software lighting desk, are you running it on the same computer as HD or a different one? Have you set the IP address of HD's PC in whatever you're controlling it from?

It's been a little while since I played with HD but I seem to recall it was simply a case of dropping the videos, appropriately named, in to the right folder structure from where HD will automatically pick them up.

yes done that but whenever I have a video playing and I perform an alteration in Magic Q the video trips or the sound trips out briefly, is this because I am using a laptop and should be using separate computers linked over a network, hence sharing the processing power.?

If you're only using one layer * you can run MagicHD on another networked PC or laptop and use it as a media server. This way your FOH laptop reduces its workload, hence stopping the bugs.

* Edit to add - only one layer means you can use the free version of MagicHD. If you want to use more you'll have to pay..

Essentially yes. The manual is very good at helping you set this up. I ran 3 servers this way for a small school production a few months back with no problems.

Make sure the videos are on the machine that's doing the playback, not the control machine!

Archived